Seattle OB/GYN physicians are experienced physicians in a variety of surgical techniques related to women’s reproductive health. Your physician will work with you to determine the surgery that best fits your needs. If a surgical procedure is needed, all of Seattle OB/GYN physicians aim to utilize the least invasive surgical procedure.
Cervical Dysplasia Procedures
- Colposcopy is a procedure that uses a kind of binocular microscope that looks for discharge, inflammation, ulceration, or lesions in the vagina and cervix.
- LEEP is a loop electrode excision procedure that uses a hot cautery wire with an electrical cutting current to obtain a specimen for diagnosis.
- Laparoscopy is a surgical procedure in which a thin telescope in placed into the abdominal cavity. Tubal sterilization, ovarian cyst removal, endometriosis treatment, and hysterectomy procedures are examples of procedures using this technique. A laparoscopy is also used to help diagnose problems.
- Advanced laparoscopy: laparoscopic treatment of endometriosis, laparosopic hysterectomy, myomectomy and ovarian procedures.
- Hysteroscopy is also a telescope procedure which is placed through the cervix into the uterine cavity. It can be used as a diagnostic tool as well as removing polyps, fibroid tumors, endometrial ablations and tubal sterilization.
- Total hysterectomy is the removal of the uterus and cervix.
- Subtotal hysterectomy is the removal of the uterus without the cervix.
- Hysterectomy with bilateral salpingoophorectomy is the removal of the uterus, tubes and ovaries.
- Endometrial Ablation is a procedure performed to eliminate or greatly reduce menstrual bleeding. There is the NovaSure method which uses heat. It is a minimally invasive procedure that destroys the uterine lining. (www.novasure.com)
Permanent Birth Control
- Essure provides permanent birth control by obstructing the fallopian tubes without any abdominal incisions. Tiny coils are places into the tubes with the aide of a hysteroscope and permanent scar tissue then builds up around the coils to prevent pregnancy.
- Tubal ligation is a surgical procedure for female sterilization that involves severing and tying of the fallopian tubes.
- Salpingectomy involves an incision of the abdomen to remove part or all of the fallopian tubes on one or both sides.
- An oophorectomy involves an incision of the abdomen to remove all or part of one or both ovaries.
- Endometrial biopsy is when tissue is scraped from the endocervical canal or endometrial wall with a curette to get tissue samplings.
Monarc Sling Operation
- A Monarc sling operation is when synthetic material or fascia from the rectus abdominal muscle is used as support to eliminate stress incontinence.
- A Myomectomy is the excision of fibroid tumors of the uterus.
- Abdominal surgery may be necessary for the the treatment of endometriosis, fibroids, ovarian issues and hysterectomy if not able to be done in minimally invasive fashion.
- This may include treatment of prolapsed, vaginal hysterectomy, Sacrospinous Fault Fixation, bladder issues and Monarc sling procedures